“Sow a thought, and you reap an act; Sow an act, and you reap a habit; Sow a habit, and you reap a character; Sow a character, and you reap a destiny”

Charles Reade

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 15- I Choose to be Happy

Every morning I am reading positive things and thinking positive thoughts and making a conscious choice to be happy and think the best of others.
When a difficult time comes I remind myself that I have the power to change the end result by my attitude. I am taking control of my life by filling my days with work, study and service. I am choosing to eat healthy and rest. I have the power to choose.

We have been having vehicle trouble for at least two years. Including our adult children’s cars, we have 6 vehicles parked around our house right now and everyone of them is in some sort of disrepair. We have had only one running vehicle off and on during these 2+ years. I have had to do a lot of walking. I have been very grateful that we live in a small town and I can get around pretty easy, the walking does me good. We just spent almost $2,000.00 on a truck that we had only a couple of weeks before the engine blew. We had to let it sit for at least 6 months because we didn’t have the money to fix it.(we are determined not to go in to debt for a vehicle) I told Phil that as soon as we got the truck fixed something else would happen to the car. My negative thinking was a self fulfilling prophecy, as soon as we got the truck going, the car started overheating. It will be a while before we can fix it. If we keep water and antifreeze in it daily we can putt around town in it. Phil took the truck out to work for the first time yesterday and it started acting up too. Having to spend all his time between vehicles and work, we have several unfinished remodeling jobs going on in the house that have been in the works since last summer and we need to do repairs to our commercial building if we ever want to sell it. I could certainly feel justified in entertaining some bad thoughts full of self pity and anger, but as Phil always says “aint nothing’ but a thang” I choose to be happy, not discouraged.


Step 5 confession From the LDS 12 step program:
"Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed" (James 5:16).
Occasionally you may observe individuals in recovery meetings or in other situations who seem to rehearse continually their sins and shortcomings or the sins others have committed against them. They are always confessing but never finding peace. Do not confuse step 5 with an obsessive desire to dwell on negative things. The intent of step 5 is exactly the opposite. We take step 5 not to hold on to the things we confess but to begin to distinguish evil from good for ourselves and to choose good.
“By this ye may know if a man repenteth of his sins— behold, he will confess them and forsake them" (D&C 58:43).

No comments:

Post a Comment