“Sow a thought, and you reap an act; Sow an act, and you reap a habit; Sow a habit, and you reap a character; Sow a character, and you reap a destiny”

Charles Reade

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 29- as simple as a choice

I am the youngest of the three girls in my family. Many years ago when my oldest children were very young, I took a trip with the second older sister, Denise, and her children to visit our oldest sister, Bonnie. We traveled with a van full of noisy children from Richmond, Virginia to Atlanta, Georgia. You could say the trip was a little ruff on our nerves. I don’t remember any specifics of what happened on the trip, but I remember well the feelings. I had become hurt and upset over something. Matters seemed to get worse after we reached our destination.


The first day Bonnie wanted us to take the children on an outing that she had been planning. I simply could not shake my bad feelings and be with the Denise and her children another minute. I tried to explain my feelings to Bonnie of why I couldn’t go. She looked at me squarely and said “ can’t you just forgive her?” The statement shocked me and the idea that I could simply forgive her hit me like a ton of bricks. Although my selfish and proud thoughts did not allow me to let it go that quickly, the lesson never left me that it can be as simple as a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment