“Sow a thought, and you reap an act; Sow an act, and you reap a habit; Sow a habit, and you reap a character; Sow a character, and you reap a destiny”

Charles Reade

Monday, March 14, 2011

My Mother, Positive thoughts

My mother was full of energy and talent. She knew how to make things happen and she made sure whatever she did she did well. I suppose people thought she had a lot of confidence, she sure did seem to. I think mom always had fears about doing things but she didn’t let them stop her from doing them. When I think about all she accomplished it’s hard to imagine that she didn’t finish high school, she got her GED when I was 11.
(She married at 17)
When mom was a child she took piano lessons. She was a good pianist and as long as I remember she was behind the piano or organ at church. I remember waiting for her at voice lessons when I was very small, I thought she had the most beautiful voice I had ever heard. About that same time mom went to beauty school and became a beautician and opened her own business.
In my teenage years she encouraged my sisters and me with our singing, and stayed busy doing good things for others as well as work in various employment.
Mom had a big heart and was often coming to someone’s rescue. She was full of faith and could articulate it.
Over my time at home, mom put on musical productions, planned and organized special events and dinners, served in church, and even started a business catering and decorating for weddings.
My parents moved to Buena Vista from Richmond early 2004 after serving a mission for our church. No one knew mom here and all the amazing things she had done. She was getting older and feeling insecure and lacked confidence to put herself out there. She was beginning to have trouble saying what she wanted to say, she couldn’t verbalize her thoughts like she wanted and it was very frustrating to her. I saw her learn to just smile and let it go. She died May 26, 2005.

How sad it was to see a vibrant capable person become discouraged.
We all get discouraged, and like my mother we probably have reason to be, but how important it is for us to realize the power of keeping a positive outlook, seeing all of life’s experiences as an adventure and opportunity to grow. Thinking positive gives us a zest for life and the power to make good things happen from any circumstance. When we feel powerless and hopeless we become powerless and hopeless. There is real power in positive thinking.

2 comments:

  1. Elaine, I love you so much. What a wonderful and courageous thing you are doing. I tend to be a positive thinker, and many have fussed at me for it, but man, oh, man, it helps when the going gets rough. Keep it up! This is not to say I never have negative thoughts and that I am always pleasant to be around. Sad, but true. But I so appreciate your comments and quotes (and Bryan Gentry's, too). One I would add, that just came to me when a precious young girl I have come to love got married very suddenly after knowing the young man for a very short time. I was, of course, concerned for her quick decision, but have since met the young man and his family, and feel she actually did make a good decision, and they were married in the Temple, another good decision. She asked me for advice and I told her to remember that they were both going to grow up together, and that was a key - grow TOGETHER. Then she told me the reasons she knew this young man was the right one for her. It was beautiful to hear, and remarkably mature! I told her I wished she would write it down and keep it with her Patriarchal Blessing, and refer to it whenever things got tough. She did it! And I am going to do it too. Dan is the most amazing man I know, and occasionally I need to remind myself of the many, many reasons he is my one and only. Forever. I have decided it should be a prerequisite to marriage - REMEMBER WHY YOU CHOSE YOUR SPOUSE! I promise it will all be good! I love you, sweet Sister! Susan

    ReplyDelete