“Sow a thought, and you reap an act; Sow an act, and you reap a habit; Sow a habit, and you reap a character; Sow a character, and you reap a destiny”

Charles Reade

Friday, April 1, 2011

Day 30

When I was a young girl our church had a program for girls 8-11 similar to what they have today except each girl was given a Bandello, a felt neckpiece, to which we added awards for attendance and memorizing things.
We lived 30 minutes from our church and my mother worked, so I didn’t always get to attend the weekday meetings, therefore I didn‘t earn all of my little attendance rhinestones. One evening a dinner was held and our Bandellos were put on display for everyone to see. Just before the event began one of the mothers and her daughter teased me about my missing attendance jewels. I was very hurt so I ran into the woods and stayed. They were having a delicious Virginia pork barbeque sandwich, my favorite, but I didn’t come out for it. I didn’t even come out when my favorite leader came looking for me. I hid behind a tree and didn’t come out until my parents came to pick me up when it was over, 1 to 2 hours later.
This is my earliest memory of what I am recognizing as my worst habit, being offended, and allowing someone else to dictate my behavior. I remember the thoughts that kept me trapped, hiding in the woods, not too different from the negative thoughts that kept me trapped that day in Georgia with my sisters.(see previous post)

We had learned a song in those weekday meetings, Maybe I can remember it now when those thoughts and feelings threaten me:



Help me, dear Father, to freely forgive
All who may seem unkind to me.

Help me each day, Father, I pray;
Help me live nearer, nearer to thee.

2. Help me, dear Father, to truly repent,
Making things right, and changing my ways.

Help me each day, Father, I pray;
Help me live nearer, nearer to thee.

Words and music: Frances K. Taylor, 1870–1952

Added text (verse 2) © 1989 IRI

No comments:

Post a Comment