“Sow a thought, and you reap an act; Sow an act, and you reap a habit; Sow a habit, and you reap a character; Sow a character, and you reap a destiny”

Charles Reade

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 58- laugh at yourself

Back in March a friend sent me this message about my positive thinking support group.

"Your group is a good idea. When I lived with my parents, my mother had the same feelings (nothing really new under the sun, huh?). She and nine other ladies formed a group called "The Jolly Ten" and they met in each other's homes once a month. With the 10 of them that left 2 months that were a Christmas party, ladies only and a cook out with the whole families. From what I remember about the meetings that were at our house, all they did was laugh! Now, with the time of life I'm in, that really appeals to me!! "The Jollies" was an exclusive group and I think they did a lot of gossiping. I have thought to start an inclusive group with the only guidelines that you couldn't gossip and you could only talk about positive things."

Well we’ve been meeting for a couple of months now, we have a rule that we can only say positive things and we have done some laughing, but at yesterdays meeting we determined we needed to do more laughing.

Anybody know any good, clean emo jokes?

Some of what we think, say and do every day can be pretty funny if we look for the humor and are willing to laugh at ourselves.

I used to have pity parties at my ice-cream parlor. We would choose someone who was having a particularly hard time and share our “Pity Party” ice cream treat of 13 scoops and 13 toppings. We had fun making light( not fun) of whatever the persons challenge was.

At our very first pity party we invited some women to honor who used humor to face their challenges. We laughed harder at that one than any since. Our guests of honor were two sisters who had both gone blind due to diabetes. They told us funny stories about rearranging furniture and other challenges of being blind. One told how she had to go downstairs to the basement to do her laundry and her husband asked her if she would like him to turn the light on for her. She could hardly get the words out as she was in stitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment